So, for months, A was planning a veeeery nice and easy (for me) costume. She was going to be a gymnast! (nothin’ for me to do, woo hoo!) Then, literally 10 days before Halloween, she was talking to one of her friends about Halloween plans and found out that her friend was going to be Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. A had just read The Wizard of Oz in the spring (the whole entire original book, I haven’t even done that), so she was very familiar with the story, and she started thinking how fun it would be to be Glinda to her friend’s Dorothy, and her friend thought it would be fun too. So… “easy Halloween costume plans” went out the door, replaced by a new list of multiple pieces that needed to be purchased and created in less than 10 days.
For some reason, the thought never occurred to me to search online for a kids’ Glinda costume and buy it! I literally just checked online right now and learned that I probably could have bought one for about $25-$50. But it would have looked like this and it wouldn’t have been as nice as what we ended up with in the end. (Whew, always a relief to realize later — after finding out what your other options could have been — that you would have made the same decision!)
Not sure why it NEVER occurred to me to go online and look into buying the costume! I actually do think it’s a great idea… IF you can buy what you want at a reasonable price. Maybe it’s because we can’t often find what we want. (hello? Magic 8 Ball costume? Cookie Jar costume?) Maybe I always assume it’ll be really expensive and I don’t want to spend so much money on a once-a-year costume… Which is usually pretty bad logic on my part because I always end up spending a decent amount of money on the raw materials to create the costume anyway, not to mention all the TIME I spend on them. But that’s me, I often manage to find the most complicated way to achieve what I want. Which brings me to the 3rd and 4th reason why I like to make their Halloween costumes: you get a more personalize look, and it’s fun for me! (ok, I’ll admit it)
Anyways, back to the assumption that I was going to make the costume… We started thinking about the dress, and we went to A’s closet to see what we could come up with as a base. We had a couple of options, but ended up deciding to use her flowergirl dress from this summer. I offered to dye the dress pink (thinking about the Glinda from the movie), but she hadn’t been tainted by the images from the movie yet (she had only read the book), so she didn’t mind being a white Glinda. Plus she was aghast at the idea of dying her beloved flowergirl dress (not that she will likely wear it again). We did look at pictures of Glinda from the movie for ideas, and later that week we also watched the movie to get into character, haha.
We decided we needed to work on…
- dress — modify it to look less flowergirl
- crown — THIS would really shout “Glinda”, you’re definitely not a flowergirl with that ridiculously tall crown
- wand — not the dinky handheld ones, but one more like a staff
- petticoat — at her request, to make the dress puffier
- necklace — a last minute addition I decided to do the night before
- evil flying monkey accessories (haha, me and my big mouth, I offered)
large pink bubble to surround her (yes, she wanted this, but I had to draw the line somewhere, plus I’m not THAT talented)
We modified the dress by taking off the flower, adding some silver glittery tulle to the waist area, and I created big puffy sleeves a la Glinda in the movie. I made a tall wand using wood parts that I spray-painted silver and decorated with glitter glue. I knew I had to get the crown right so I made some practice templates to try the size, shape, and height. I learned that taller is better, but make sure it’s not too loose or else Glinda gets a bonus nose shield. :-/
I have to say, one of the pieces I was most proud of was the petticoat because I managed to make it using only 4 items, in just a few minutes, and it was so cheap! (The fabric was fortuitously on sale.) I used a fat embroidery needle and yarn to baste and gather the folded tulle on the rough open end and white duct tape to hold down the gather AND to make the waste area not itchy. Added more yarn for the tie, and voila, done. Easy. And for around $4, can’t beat that.
Back to me and my big mouth… When A and her friend were talking about the movie, they mentioned that they each had a little stuffed monkey and they could pretend that they were the evil witch’s flying monkeys. I offered on the spot to sew wings for the monkeys. Later on I realized that Glinda wouldn’t ever really be around the monkeys, but it was too late, the girls wanted the monkeys with wings. I have to admit it was pretty fun. I was wondering how to best attach the wings to the stuffies without permanently hot gluing them on, then I realized that making them little vests and hot gluing the wings to the vests would be the best idea. And then when I looked up the images online, I saw that they had hats, so of course I had to make little hats too. And embellish the vests and hats, of course.
(I think right after my camera, the next most important tool in my house would be the hot glue gun!!)
These got done with just enough time to pack everything up and get over to school for their annual Halloween Carnival. Dorothy and Glinda (and the monkeys) looked so cute!
Whew! This year’s costume plans went from “yay, just put on a leotard and be a gymnast!” to a multi-piece outfit, but it was worth it in the end. A looked Glinda-riffically beautiful (it was so rewarding when several of her friends came over oooohing and aaaahing over her costume) — and most importantly, she definitely did NOT look like a flowergirl, which I’d call a success! Nonetheless, I’m relieved Halloween 2013 is over.